House Bill 2160
ALL APRI (American Pet Registry, Inc.) and other registered dogs will be MANDATORY SPAY and NEUTER! Only AKC & UKC will be allowed intact.
If passed, this bill would require sterilization of dogs and cats over the age of six months, unless the owner qualifies for an intact animal license at a fee of $50.00 per year. This law would apply to any person who feeds or cares for a dog or cat.
The owners of certain dogs and cats would be exempt. Exemptions would include breeds recognized and currently registered with the American Kennel Club, the United Kennel Club, and certain cat registries. Exemptions would also be provided, under specific circumstances, for owners of military, law enforcement and search-and-rescue dogs; service dogs; dogs used for hunting or field trial competition, and dogs unfit for surgery. Governmental animal shelters and certain humane societies would be exempt; however, rescue organizations and foster homes in residential areas would not be exempt.
Even with these exemptions, the bill is problematic for responsible dog owners. Concerns with this bill include, but are not limited to:
- It would require exempt dogs used for hunting or field trial competitions to be kept in a fenced enclosure at all times when not engaged in hunting, competition, or related activities. Also, the owner of a dog used for field trial competition would be required to present on request documentation proving participation within the past 12 months. Even with these exemptions, the bill is problematic for responsible dog owners. Concerns with this bill include, but are not limited to:
- It would require exempt dogs used for hunting or field trial competitions to be kept in a fenced enclosure at all times when not engaged in hunting, competition, or related activities. Also, the owner of a dog used for field trial competition would be required to present on request documentation proving participation within the past 12 months.
- It would be a violation for an owner to allow an intact dog or cat to be “at large” and in direct contact with any other intact dogs or cats. Under this measure, “at large” would mean “not confined within a building, a fenced enclosure, or under the physical control of a competent person.” This restriction would make it a violation to allow intact male and female dogs to train for or to participate in off-lead activities such as obedience competition, hunting, field work, coursing, and other events where contact between the dogs might occur.
- Certain officers of non-governmental humane societies would be empowered to enforce this measure.
The American Kennel Club opposes mandatory spay/neuter of purebred dogs. We strongly support and actively promote a wide range of programs to educate the public about responsible breeding practices and the responsibilities of dog ownership. We also encourage pet owners to decide in consultation with a veterinarian whether to spay or neuter their dogs as a responsible means to prevent accidental litters.
What You Can Do:
Immediately contact committee members and the bill’s sponsor to state your concerns with HB2160. Please ask the Sponsor, Representative Eddie L. Armstrong, to table the bill.
Please ask the committee members to vote NO on this bill and use the information above for talking points; or you may leave a message for each representative.
Sponsor: Representative Eddie L. Armstrong
The Arkansas House Committee on Agriculture, Forestry and Economic Development:
- Shepherd, Matthew J. (R-6) – Chair
- Steel, Nate (D-19) – Vice Chair
- Ballinger, Bob (R-97) – Member
- Branscum, David L. (R-83) – Member
- Douglas, Charlotte Vining (R-75) – Member
- Douglas, Dan M. (R-91) – Member
- Edwards, John Charles (D-35) – Member
- Eubanks, Jon S. (R-74) – Member
- Gillam, Jeremy (R-45) – Member
- Jean, Lane (R-2) – Member
- Jett, Joe (D-56) – Member
- Lampkin, Sheilla E. (D-9) – Member
- Leding, Greg (D-86) – Member
- Lenderman, Homer (D-53) – Member
- Linck, Kelley (R-99) – Member
- Magie, Stephen (D-72) – Member
- McCrary, Walls (D-14) – Member
- Meeks, Stephen (R-67) – Member
- Ratliff, James (D-60) – Member
- Thompson, Tommy (D-65) – Member
To email all committee members at once, here are their email addresses: